In the world of portable sewing machines, mini handheld sewing machines represent the smallest category.
You can literally operate the machine with one hand while holding the fabric with the other hand.
They are designed primarily for performing emergency repairs when you are away from home or don’t have a standard sewing machine.
Most of them run on batteries, so you won’t have a cord in your way as you work.
What Can You Sew with a Handheld Sewing Machine?
People can get into trouble when they have high expectations for a handheld sewing machine. It does not have the same capabilities as a standard machine.
That said, however, they can quickly get some stitching done on thin fabrics, like dress slacks or sheer curtains. The portable machine will help when you don’t want to get out your regular machine or don’t have one at all.
Handheld sewing machines can:
- Repair hems on pants and skirts
- Quickly close a broken seam
- Hem curtains while they are hanging
- Baste seams before permanent sewing
Are Handheld Sewing Machines Any Good?
When reading handheld sewing machine reviews, you will encounter some disappointed users. Some of the negativity results from people trying to make the machine perform functions beyond its scope. Even so, these machines can be handy for the right applications.
- Can save the day when pant seams break
- Great for mending clothes when traveling
- Loose stitches not comparable to stitches from larger machines
- Can’t handle thick fabric
- Only make a single type of stitch
What to Look for in a Handheld Sewing Machine
What is the best handheld sewing machine to buy? You won’t find many differences among the models available. They largely all have the same design. To make a buying decision, look for:
- Extra bobbins and thread
- Affordable price
- Needle threader
Best Handheld Sewing Machine: 7 Good Choices to Consider
Handheld sewing machines appeal to people, which means that you’ll find many on the market. The following models present a good overview of available models for your consideration.
This product truly is a mini handheld sewing machine. W-Dragon has made a very bare-bones machine that has an external bobbin and only does a straight stitch. You can hold it in one hand and activate the motor with the thumb switch.
You should find it adequate for emergency clothing repairs. It could also be helpful when you have to sew in awkward locations, such as fixing a bed skirt while it’s still on the bed. A cord won’t encumber you because 4 AA batteries power the machine.
- Cordless, battery-operated
- Includes needle threader
- Lightweight, only 10.2 ounces
- Battery powered or AC adapter
- May be tricky to figure out thread tension
- The USB cord for the adapter is only 3’ long.
Singer is a well-established brand name in the sewing world. This handheld model performs a simple straight stitch and is intended for sewing only lightweight fabrics.
You simply hold it with your hand and run the motor with the thumb switch while holding the fabric with your other hand. As a cordless sewing machine, it needs 4 AA batteries.
This hand stitcher is only 9 inches long and ideal for travel. It could save you some embarrassment if you need to fix a hem unexpectedly while away from home.
- Cordless, battery-operated
- Lightweight, under 1 pound
- Includes some thread and bobbins
- Performs a simple straight stitch
- Reliable brand
- Cordless and lightweight
- Extra online instructions and tips via a QR code
- Learning curve on how to use the machine
This cordless sewing machine features the same handheld design as the two products listed above. You activate the motor with the thumb switch as you hold it. You need to supply 4 AA batteries to power the machine.
The external bobbin makes changing the thread easy, and the thread tension controls are accessible. You could fix the hem of pants or a skirt while still wearing the clothes. This product has a couple more accessories than the other models, such as thread clippers and tape.
- Cordless, battery-powered
- Includes three bobbins
- Lightweight, only 10.8 ounces
- Includes thread clippers
- Battery powered
- Great for a novice seamstress
- Takes practice and patience to learn how to use it properly.
This brightly colored red and white machine makes handheld sewing possible at home or on the road. At 11.7 ounces, it’s a bit heavier than the other models but still very lightweight.
Take the mini sewing machine anywhere and stitch hems and seams because it’s completely portable and runs on 4 AA batteries.
It comes with a nice kit of supplies that includes a needle threader, a tape measure, safety pins, and more.
- Portable, battery-powered
- Includes eight bobbins
- Comes needle threader and clippers
- Lots of included accessories
- Works for small sewing projects or quick fixes.
- Delicate design, may easily break.
Quickly fix a torn item of clothing even while you’re wearing it with this mini portable sewing machine powered by 4 AA batteries.
The product has an adjustable mounting plate and comes with two needles, nine little spools of thread, tape, and clippers. It works on fabrics up to 1.8 mm thick, including denim.
This model could be as close to a heavy-duty handheld sewing machine that you will find. However, with a weight of 11.3 ounces, the machine remains comfortably portable.
- Portable, battery-operated
- Sews denim
- It comes with many supplies
- Can sew through denim
- Lacks basic instructions and how to use info
Here we have a mini Singer handheld or tabletop sewing machine. This machine is slightly different than the other machines in this compilation. The Singer Stitch Quick mending machine is a mini sewing machine with a small, ergonomic handle on the back.
This machine is cordless and only needs 4- AA batteries to be able to stitch through a variety of different fabrics. It will come with all the necessary notions to get you started and weighs a light 1.45 lbs.
- Lightweight and battery operated
- The ergonomic handle is easy to use in handheld mode.
- Tabletop mode with continual stitching
- Great price
- Threading the machine can be tricky.
Cute and petite, the SiddenGold mini handheld sewing machine is a gift idea for a beginner seamstress. Instead of having to break out the entire sewing machine, you can take out this little machine and sew projects easily.
These small sewing machines aren’t meant to be used for huge sewing projects, but this mini machine works great for a quick fix and simple hemming projects.
- Multi-tasking tool
- Two different speeds
- Strong enough to sew through denim and curtain material
- Battery operated
- Bobbins and needle threader included.
- The instructions included are brief.
More Related Articles
Be Ready for Emergencies
Although the capabilities of a hand stitcher are realistically limited, you will appreciate having one when a repair emergency strikes.
With a handheld sewing machine in your travel bag, you can make the inconvenience of an unraveling hem or split seam go away quickly. When time is an issue before an important appointment, you may need something to fix a problem faster than sewing by hand.
Once you have one, you may also discover convenient uses for it around the house for simple mending jobs or adjustments of curtains.