As quilters, we know our tools and accessories are extremely important to our craft and making the best-looking quilts possible.
Undoubtedly, an iron is one of the essential tools in our “toolbox.”
But what if you don’t need your large iron to get the job done?
In this post, we will shift our focus to the small but mighty mini irons that are on the market for quilters.
We’ll go over the benefit of having a small quilting iron and then look at seven great options for you.
|Clover Mini Iron|
|Honoson Mini Craft Iron|
|Dritz 29500 Petite Portable Iron|
|Rowenta DA1560 Travel Ready|
What Are Mini Irons and Why Do You Need One?
A mini iron is just a scaled-down version of a regular iron. Small irons are gaining popularity with quilters because of several different benefits that they offer, including:
- Extremely lightweight
- They work great for small blocks
- They make applique piecing a breeze
These are just a few of the benefits of these mini irons, and applique piecing is one of the best reasons to have a mini iron.
The pressure from your arm and hand goes to the small surface area of the iron plate, giving you a significant amount of pressure and heat if you are using fusible interfacing to create custom appliques.
They also work very well for creating complex blocks with many small seams. You can have your small iron set up right next to your sewing machine with a wool pressing mat and press each seam when piecing blocks together.
Best Mini Iron For Sewing: 7 Top-Rated Choices
Our collection will review many small irons for sewing and quilting for different budgets and needs. Mini irons are not only cute little tools, but they are a functional and helpful device for many.
This mini iron was made with quilters and crafters in mind. With the small 1” ironing plate, this tiny iron would be a great choice for the quilter who makes small applique pieces.
Instead of using a large iron and not being able to see if your applique piece stays in place under the iron, this small iron allows you to see exactly what is going on while you press your pieces down.
- This iron can be used with fabrics and papercrafts.
- There are many different adapters you can purchase for different crafts.
- You can change the temperature of the plate, and the max temperature is approximately 550°F. (It does take about 10 minutes to heat up to the max temperature.)
- Easy clean iron plate.
If you are searching for a mini iron described as “small but mighty,” look no further. This mini steam iron can get the job done and is the perfect companion for the traveling quilter/ seamstress.
This iron features a 7.5-foot cord and comes with a travel bag that you can store it in to keep dust away. The soleplate is made of non-stick material and can heat up in as little as 15 seconds.
- A great choice for quilters and sewing enthusiasts.
- Can be used anywhere in the world with its dual voltage feature.
- One of the few well-made mini steam irons on the market today.
- The price makes it attainable for anyone who may need it.
3. Oliso M2
Oliso is one of those well-known brands in the quilting community, and this iron was made specifically for quilters.
This is another one of the few exceptional mini steam irons on the market, and though it may cost a bit more than what most would want to spend on “just a mini iron,” this iron will not disappoint in performance or quality.
- All Oliso irons come with a 3-year warranty for peace of mind.
- This iron features dual voltage, so you can use it anywhere in the world.
- Comes in four adorable colors: yellow, blue, pink, and purple.
- The M2 has an extra-long 8’ cord with a swivel head, so you won’t get tangled with the cord.
If you like to dabble in several different types of crafts and don’t necessarily want to purchase an expensive and large heat-press, this mini craft iron might be the right choice for you. Let’s look at some of the top features of this inexpensive iron.
- I don’t know about you, but I like my tools to be functional and pretty. This craft iron comes in 11 different colors!
- This iron will completely heat up to 350℉ in 1 ½ minutes and will maintain that temperature the whole time you are using it.
- The power cord is 3 ½’ long, so you may need to use an extension cord if you don’t have an outlet near your workstation.
- This iron can be used for a wide variety of crafts and can be used with various materials, including patches, iron-on decals, fabrics, rhinestones, etc.
- It only weighs about 6 ounces and can easily fit in a purse or backpack for travel.
Dritz is a popular brand for all types of sewing enthusiasts, and this unique portable iron is a handy little tool they have come up with. Instead of the traditional shape of an iron, this iron has an adjustable head with an ergonomic handle for ease of use. Here are some more features this iron has to offer.
- The adjustable head has four different positions you can choose from depending on the angle you need the head to be at.
- The iron also offers four different temperature settings depending on what type of fabric you are using.
- The iron is 8” long and weighs just over 11 ounces. This can easily fit in a small bag or suitcase if you need to take it with you for a trip.
Compact and weighing around one pound, this iron is an excellent choice if you want an iron to sit next to your sewing space to press quilt blocks while piecing them together. This mini iron offers you the ability to press and steam with ease with an easy-fill water tank and non-stick soleplate.
- Dual voltage features for traveling anywhere in the world.
- This iron lets you adjust the heat setting, depending on the type of fabric you are working with.
- The handle features soft-grip material for those with arthritis or other hand pain.
The Rowenta DA1560 is the largest mini iron on this list but has the most “bells and whistles.” You can use this iron for vertical steam for garments and hard-to-get-out wrinkles and creases with its unique handle. If you travel and don’t like using the irons in hotel rooms, this might be the iron for you.
- Dual voltage for world travelers.
- 1,000-watt micro steam – an extremely rare feature for a “mini” iron.
- The handle folds flat for storage and travel. The iron also comes with a storage/travel bag.
- Features a stainless steel soleplate for easy clean-up.
More Related Articles
A mini iron is one of those tools that you don’t know you need until you hear about it. Then you realize how much of a convenience it would be!
Looking through this list of small irons shows that they are reasonably priced, and you don’t have to pay a fortune for a quality tool.