Hey quilting friends! Need a little inspiration for your next project? Or maybe you'd like some ideas for words to embroider on a gift or put in a card to one of your quilting friends.
With 9 -11 million quilters in the country, there's plenty of wisdom out there in the form of quilting quotes and sayings.
We've curated some of the best quotes about quilting to give you just the right words to express your feelings about your craft.
47 of the Best Quilting Quotes
Whether you use these for yourself or to share with another quilter, these quotes have tapped into exactly what it's like to be a quilter and how quilting reflects who we are. Grab your favorites and put them to good use.
Inspirational Quilting Quotes
- “We stitch together quilts of meaning to keep us warm and safe, with whatever patches of beauty and utility we have on hand.” ― Anne Lamott
2. “Take a good look at your fabric and intuit what it is saying to you.” ― Patricia Belyea
3. “Paintings, people really don't understand. They don't really get paintings. Quilts they do understand because everybody has a quilt in their house.” ― Faith Ringgold
4. “When your quilting up a life, you sometimes got to start with any piece you can get your hands on.” ―Jonathan Odell
5. “Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind.” ― Johannes Brahms
6. “Anyone who works on a quilt, who devotes her time, energy, creativity, and passion to that art, learns to value the work of her hands. And as any quilter will tell you, a quilter’s quilting friends are some of the dearest, most generous, and most supportive people she knows.” ― Jennifer Chiaverini
7. “Sewing small pieces together gives me a peaceful heart and a quilt to wrap you with, my love.” ― Benita Skinner
8. “Life is less a quest than a quilt. We find meaning, love, and prosperity through the process of stitching together our bold attempts to help others find their own way in their lives. The relationships we weave become an exquisite and endless pattern.” ― Keith Ferrazzi
9. “Much like a patchwork quilt, inspiration that stirs and motivates me is made of many things.” ― Robert Reynolds
10. “The whole quilt is much more important than any single square.” ― Rohinton Mistry
11. “To me, the beauty of a quilt or a dress lies within the stitches and the thought of the person who made them. When you spend time making something with your two hands, you impart love in a way that buying never can.” ― Natalie
12. “It's all a quilt of fairy tales with a patch here and there of truth.” ― Laini Taylor
13. “When they're looking at my work, they're looking at a painting and they're able to accept it better because it is also a quilt.” ― Faith Ringgold
14. “After all, a woman didn't leave much behind in the world to show she'd been there. Even the children she bore and raised got their father's name. But her quilts, now that was something she could pass on.” ― Sandra Dallas
15. “Our quilts were more than useful, they had the faint sentimentality of a pressed flower. And no more beauty. We did not value them for their appearance, but for the memories in them, for their good wearing qualities and the thrift they represented.” ―Rose Wilder Lane
16. “Some women don't care how their quilts look. They piece the squares together any sort of way, but she couldn't stand careless sewing. She wanted her quilts, and Joy's, made right. Quilts stay a long time after people are gone from this world, and witness about them for good or bad. She wanted people to see, when she was gone, that she'd never been a shiftless or don't-care woman.” ― Julia Peterkin
17. “My life is like a patchwork quilt of wisdom, prayers, hope, and faith mixed with miracles along the way.” ― Paulette L. Motzko
18. “Beautiful things come together one stitch at a time.” ― Unknown
19. “Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.” ― Unknown
20. “Blessed are the piecemakers.” ― Unknown
21. “Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.” ― Unknown
22. “One who sleeps under a quilt is comforted by love.” ― Unknown
23. “In the quilt of life, friends are the stitches that hold it together.” ― Unknown
24. “To quilt is human. To finish is divine.” ― Unknown
25. “Nobody starts out a perfect quilter.” ― Sandra Dallas
26. “Two quilters who have just met will be strangers only until their mutual passion for quilting is revealed. Then they can talk for hours like the best of friends.” ― Jennifer Chiaverini
27. “Quilters affect eternity. They can never tell where their influence stops.” ― Unknown
More Related Articles:
Funny Quilting Quotes
28. “One thing I know for sure; there are no rules in quilting. And if you think there are, then it’s time you try breaking a few.” ― Dana Bolyard
29. “Creative people don't have a mess. They have ideas lying around everywhere.” ― Unknown
30. “The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary.” ― Mary Kurtz
31. “I can remember when pants were pants. You wore them for twenty years, then you cut them down for pan scrubs. Or quilts.” ― Victoria Wood
32. “Behind every quilter is a big pile of fabric.” ― Unknown
33. “A tranquil woman can go on sewing longer than an angry man can go on fuming.” ―George Bernard Shaw
34. “When feeling low, it’s time to sew.” ― Unknown
35. “Quilters are not greedy. They are just materialistic.” ― Unknown
36. “Quilters never cut corners.” ― Unknown
37. “I've spent most of my life making quilts. The rest I've just wasted.” ― Unknown
38. “A day patched with quilting seldom unravels.” ― Unknown
39. “Quilting forever. Housework never.” ― Unknown
40. “When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.” ― Unknown
41. “I'm not a fabric hoarder. I am the curator of an extensive textile collection.” ― Unknown
42. “Quilt 'til you wilt.” ― Unknown
43. “Friends and quilts are great no matter how they are put together.” ― Unknown
44. “You know you're a quilter when the only scraps under your dining room table are fabric. ” ― Unknown
45. “I don't need to get organized. I just need a bigger sewing room.” ― Unknown
46. “My soul is fed by needle and thread.” ― Unknown
47. “Quilters. Artists who paint masterpieces with fabric and write symphonies with stitches.” ― Unknown
How Will You Use These Quilting Quotes and Sayings?
Who knew that quilters have “sew much” to say about the craft and how it impacts them? Which of these quilting quotes spoke to you?
- Need some ideas for how to use these quotes? Try some of these:
- Print your favorite on a mug so you can see it every day during your coffee or tea break.
- Have one printed on a t-shirt or tote bag to let the world know you're a quilter.
- Post a few around your sewing room to inspire you as you work.
- Choose one as your motto and sew it on all of your quilting labels.
- Embroider a few directly on a quilt.
- Write one in a card to a quilting friend.
Good quotes on quilting are excellent reminders of how much you value your craft and what it means to you. Though words can't truly express the joy quilting provides, these quotes can trigger those happy feelings and motivate you to begin your next work of art.