Sewing is an exciting hobby/passion to learn, but how do you know which notions you need to start?
There are hundreds of different notions and tools available, and it can feel a bit overwhelming when you are just starting out.
Luckily, many companies have excellent sewing kits for beginners to take the stress out of choosing the perfect items for beginner projects.
In this post, we’ll go over what to look for in a sewing starter kit, and then I will show several great options to get you started.
- What to Look for in Sewing Kits for Adults
- 11 Best Sewing Kits for Your Quilting and Sewing Needs
What to Look for in Sewing Kits for Adults
When hunting around for the best sewing kit, I recommend sitting down and figuring out the type of projects you may be interested in working on.
For example, if you want to do a lot of clothes making, you’ll need different tools than someone who wants to make quilts. However, many sewing tools are multi-taskers, and you can use them in a wide variety of applications.
Here’s a list of some notions you will need in your sewing kit (especially if you are a quilter.)
- Scissors: Make sure they are quality scissors, not flimsy, cheap ones
- Snips: These are a type of scissors that will be your friend if you are piecing blocks and need to “snip” a lot of little threads.
- Rotary Cutter: The best option to cut fabric.
- Thread: It is fun to have a variety of colors to play around with.
- Seam Ripper: No matter how “good” you are as a quilter, you will always need a seam ripper, and it is in my top 5 notions every quilter should have.
- Needles: If you want to do some hand sewing, these will be a must. Most kits come with a small pack of a variety of different-sized needles.
- Needle Threading Tool: You’ve seen that little tin and wire thingy with the queen’s head stamped on the tin.
- Tape Measure: Always good to have an extra on hand. They seem to disappear.
- Straight Pins: These are very helpful when you are piecing blocks together.
- Marking Pens or Chalk: Used to mark where to cut or stitch.
11 Best Sewing Kits for Your Quilting and Sewing Needs
Now that we know what type of notions you should look for, let’s check out 11 options for sewing kits to help you on your sewing and quilting journeys. Keep in mind, when looking at different kits, quality is always better than quantity.
If you only want a small sewing kit, this kit is the perfect choice for you. The contents of this kit are needles, snips, measuring tape, needle threader, thimble, and thread, all in a cute little box.
- Adorable box
- Great gift idea
- Has the necessities
- No seam ripper
This sweet, quilted bag carries all the notions you will need for on-the-go sewing projects. The kit includes needles, pins, thread, needle threader, seam ripper, scissors, pin cushion, thimble, and tape measure.
- Great for travel
- 24 different color threads
- Nice carrying case
- The scissors don’t appear to be of great quality
If you are just starting with quilting or you want to give new quilters some fabulous notions, this quilter’s starter kit is an excellent option for you. These tools are going to be an excellent choice for your quilting projects.
- Includes rotary cutter, cutting mat, clips, scissors, two rulers, and measuring tape
- Great price
- Excellent gift idea for a quilter
- Exacto knife and blades for paper crafting
- No seam ripper
Here is another small kit option, but it comes with several necessities for any quilter-new or experienced. The kit comes with several tailor’s chalks that you can use to mark cutting lines or quilting lines. It also includes snips, multiple seam rippers, and quilter clips, all inside a cute little tin basket.
- Great gift for a beginner or experienced quilter
- Two different sized seam rippers
- Snips instead of flimsy scissors
- Great price
- Tailor’s chalk may not be the best choice for some applications
If I were to pick any kit from this list to be the “best,” this kit would definitely be it! This kit has everything and is made by a well-known company in the quilting community.
The EverSewn Ultimate Sewing Starter Kit has everything you will need (besides a sewing machine) to start making quilts and other sewing projects.
- Comes with the 14 most popular quilting/sewing notions.
- Great price for everything that is included by a well-known brand.
- Great quality products
- Doesn’t come with any thread.
This sewing kit is a great example of a multitasking kit that can be used for quilting or other sewing types like clothes making. It includes 41 spools of thread, a few bobbins with thread already wound for you, different tools you may need for different projects, and a carrying case to keep it all organized.
- Lots of thread
- Multitasker kit
- Handy carrying case
- Great price
- Not necessarily the best choice for quilters
Unlike the other kits in this list, this kit comes with everything you need to create some adorable pinwheel blocks. If you order this kit, you will receive: cutting mat, rotary cutter, scissors, fabric, needle, thread, seam ripper, pin cushion, pins, thimble, and complete instructions to create pinwheel blocks.
- Everything is included
- The perfect gift for a beginner quilter
- Awesome way to build your “quilter’s toolbox”
- A bit pricey
If you are on the search for a stocking stuffer, this mini kit will work perfectly. This tiny kit includes quilting cotton strips, thread, needles, seam ripper, adorable pins, and a needle threader.
- Low price
- Great practice materials
- Stocking stuffer ready
- Very small
Stored in a beautiful wooden box, this sewing kit is a great starter kit for someone ready to dabble in sewing or quilting. The kit includes snips, thread, buttons, a pincushion, measuring tape, scissors, needles, and a seam ripper.
- Wooden box
- Beautiful gift idea
- Great for seamstress or quilter
- A bit pricey compared to other kits on our list
Here’s another striking quilting kit complete with fabric and thread so you can start sewing right away! The Zyna quilting bundle includes 50-4”x4” squares for you to create a small quilt with, along with notions you will need along the way, such as snips, pins, and a measuring tape.
- Great price
- Fabric is included
- Stocking stuffer option
- No seam ripper
- Few notions
Who doesn’t love a coordinating color set for their quilting tools, am I right? This kit comes in 3 different color options and includes the basic necessities for cutting fabric, such as a rotary cutter, replacement blades, cutting mat, and ruler.
The kit also includes quilter’s clips which come in handy for piecing quilt blocks.
- Color options
- Everything you need to cut fabric
- Quality items
- A bit pricey when not on sale
More Related Articles
Wasn’t it fun looking at all the different kits available on the market? There’s something out there for everyone, and I had a lot of fun gathering up these options for you! I hope this list will help you when it comes time for you to find the perfect kit and notions for your own sewing and quilting needs.
About the author: Miriam Ronne is a lover of all things quilting and sewing. She is a self-taught quilter and is constantly learning and broadening her skill set to create one-of-a-kind quilts! When she's not behind her sewing machine you can find her playing with her fur babies or trying her hand at other crafty things.