Contrary to some opinions, quilts and quilting are still popular today.
Not only are they popular, but they’re trending!
There has never been a better time to be a quilter, from quilted bags to trendy quilting bedding.
This post is dedicated to the versatile quilted jacket.
We will look at some basics of making one from a quilt jacket pattern, then look at 17 gorgeous quilted patchwork jacket ideas.
- Is It Hard to Make a Quilt Coat?
- Supplies You Need to Make a Quilt Jacket
- Quilt Jacket Pattern Round-Up: 17 Stunning Ideas to Inspire You
- 1. Quilted Dream Coat
- 2. Megan Nielsen Hovea Quilted Coat Pattern
- 3. SewHungryHippie’s Tamarack Coat
- 4. Beachcomber Jacket Quilt Pattern
- 5. Quilted Tamarack
- 6. Homeday Tamarack Quilted Coat
- 7. Chiono Quilted Jacket
- 8. Quilted Coat DIY
- 9. “Party All Over” Quilted Coat
- 10. Tamara’s Joy Quilted Jacket
- 11. West Quilt Coat
- 12. Cozy Coat
- 13. Brittney Frey’s Quilted Coat
- 14. Quilt Coat 2.0
- 15. SewnHandmade’s Quilt Coat Tutorial
- 16. ScribblyGumQuiltCo’s Quilt Coat
- 17. Uncomplicated Spaces’ Quilted Coat Tutorial
Is It Hard to Make a Quilt Coat?
The difficulty of making a quilted coat depends on a few factors.
Have you ever followed a clothing pattern? I recommend familiarity with basic pattern markings and clothes-making terms. Learning these terms will make it easier to follow a quilt coat pattern.
The second key factor is the quilt design you choose for your quilt jacket. Will you choose a simple square patchwork pattern? A more complex double wedding ring pattern? Perhaps a crazy quilt design? You need to figure out this before you start your quilt jacket project.
Supplies You Need to Make a Quilt Jacket
Making a quilted coat combines the beautiful art form of quilt making and the impressive skill of clothes-making. Let’s look at the supplies you will need to create a quilted jacket from scratch.
- Sewing Machine– You don’t need an expensive machine with all the “bells and whistles” to make a beautiful quilted jacket.
- Quilting Cotton
- Batting– I recommend 100% cotton for warmth and durability.
- Muslin– This type of fabric you can use to make a mockup of the same name (muslin.) A muslin in clothes-making is used as practice for constructing a garment. You won’t need to create quilted pieces for this step; this is only to test the pattern sizing and construction of the coat.
- Lining Fabric– You can use quilting cotton, silk, acetate, or flannel. This is optional if you choose not to line the coat.
- Thread– I recommend a strong polyester thread that withstands wear and washes.
- Quilted Jacket Pattern: You can use a pattern designed explicitly for a quilted jacket or a regular pattern. Instead of using solid pieces of fabric, use quilted pieces to create a one-of-a-kind coat.
- Notions– You will need zippers, buttons, velcro, or other types of notions for the closures of the coat. The pattern you choose will have instructions for which notions you will need.
Quilt Jacket Pattern Round-Up: 17 Stunning Ideas to Inspire You
My goal for this collection of quilted jacket pattern ideas is to get you excited and inspired to create a coat for yourself. Quilted coats allow you to show off your sewing and quilting skills and have something practical and valuable during cold weather.
1. Quilted Dream Coat
This beautiful coat was made by Martha at Buried Diamond. She used the beginner-friendly nine-patch block to create this colorful, happy jacket. She has also walked us through each step of making this coat, so if you want to follow along with her while you make your coat, you can!
2. Megan Nielsen Hovea Quilted Coat Pattern
This pattern may cost $25, but you are getting pattern pieces and instructions on making six different versions of this adorable, modern quilted jacket. This pattern includes sizing 0-20 with three length options to fit your style.
Depending on your preferences, it will also show you how to finish the coat, either lined or unlined.
3. SewHungryHippie’s Tamarack Coat
Here is a coat that Natalie made at SewHungryHippie. She used all solid colors in an improv design to create this cozy tamarack-style jacket. The bold colors give this coat a modern eclectic vibe.
4. Beachcomber Jacket Quilt Pattern
This lovely jacket combines the traditional eight-point star, half-square triangles, nine patch, and four patch blocks. This unique pattern gives instructions on creating these blocks that you then sew onto a sweatshirt you already own.
The pattern does recommend using a crewneck sweatshirt that is one size larger than you usually wear.
5. Quilted Tamarack
If a scrappy design is more your style, how about creating a long tamarack like the one made by BirdBrain Designs. She used remnants of several bold modern fabrics to make this unique coat. She also gives details of the changes she made to the original pattern to make this an OOAK.
6. Homeday Tamarack Quilted Coat
Here is an excellent example of using a simple quilt design to create a gorgeous quilt jacket. The designer used a simple tamarack coat pattern to construct this comfy coat. This would be a great beginner project.
7. Chiono Quilted Jacket
This pattern is for a lightweight quilted jacket that you can make using a whole cloth or a patchwork design.
The pattern includes long and cropped options for the jacket length. It also has two different options for the closure. This is a fantastic beginner option, especially if you want a lightweight jacket.
8. Quilted Coat DIY
Believe it or not, the designer made this quilt from thrifted pillow shams! She decided to make a quilted coat from an existing quilt and was able to find these beautiful pillow shams at her local thrift store.
This is an excellent option for you if you don’t want to make your quilted pieces or if you have an old quilt, you don’t mind giving it a new life.
More Related Articles
7 Of The Best Handheld Sewing Machines For Quilters And Sewers
21 Exquisite And Inspiring Barn Quilt Patterns To Create A Work Of Art [+Free Printable]
9 Best Sewing Machines For The Advanced Sewer And Quilter
9. “Party All Over” Quilted Coat
This long, robe-like jacket would be perfect for fall. Plus, check out those huge pockets. Love it! This jacket is made from an existing quilt. The designer strategically laid the jacket pattern pieces onto the quilt and cut out the necessary components.
10. Tamara’s Joy Quilted Jacket
Here is a well-written walk-through on using a jacket pattern to make a quilted jacket. The writer, Tamara, shows step-by-step instructions on cutting and piecing the coat. She also provides several recommendations on coat patterns that you could use to make your own quilted coat/jacket.
11. West Quilt Coat
This quilted coat is the epidemy of modern elegance and would look amazing on so many different body shapes. The color palette makes it a versatile garment, and the coat’s construction is a relatively simple design.
12. Cozy Coat
This beautiful oversized quilt coat pattern is a fabulous choice for anyone who wants a simplistic coat design. This is a unisex pattern and can be used to make coats for everyone. You can make the quilt design as simple or complex as possible.
13. Brittney Frey’s Quilted Coat
If you have looked at quilted coats on Instagram, you have probably seen one of Brittney Frey’s unbelievable coats. She has mastered the patchwork jacket and has made several variations, including quilted vests.
This particular coat uses fun Springtime colors and is a simple square patchwork design that is easy for beginners.
14. Quilt Coat 2.0
Here is another excellent tutorial that shows you step-by-step how to make a quilt into a quilted coat. The designer gives quilted jacket pattern recommendations and different tips and tricks to make the process easier for you. She also offers several quilt pattern options to choose from using simple blocks.
15. SewnHandmade’s Quilt Coat Tutorial
How cozy does this coat look? In this tutorial, the designer shows you how to use a practice muslin pattern to work out any kinks in a pattern and then use a quilt pattern to make the quilt pieces for the coat. She will walk you through how to make a quilted coat from start to finish like the one you see above.
16. ScribblyGumQuiltCo’s Quilt Coat
This lovely quilted jacket is one of many that Scribbly Gum Quilt Co. designer has created. She specializes in modern, simple designs and has written several tutorials on making these wearable works of art.
The above-quilted coat has simple piano key blocks on the sleeves and large eight-point stars on the pockets.
17. Uncomplicated Spaces’ Quilted Coat Tutorial
This beauty is using a vintage quilt found at an antique store. The maker goes through her process of turning an old quilt into a warm, cozy quilted jacket with a lovely collar. If you like to repurpose items, this may be an excellent tutorial.
Wasn’t this compilation fun? I hope this group of quilted jackets and coats has inspired you as much as it’s inspired me. If you choose a simple quilt pattern, you could make one of these quilt jackets over a weekend. Whatever you decide to do, remember to have fun with it!
1 thought on “Want To Try Your Hand At A Quilted Jacket? 17 Quilt Jacket Patterns To Inspire You”
Love this quilt jacket pattern!