Did you know that there is a quilt pattern that symbolizes romance, longevity, and love?
The pattern I am talking about is the Double Wedding Ring quilt pattern (DWR), and it is a gorgeous canvas of interwoven rings creating a beautiful quilt top.
I want to go over a little history of the wedding quilt, show a wide variety of examples of the pattern, and provide links to a few free DWR patterns.
- What is a Double Wedding Ring Quilt?
- The History of the Double Wedding Ring Quilt
- 15 Beautiful Double Wedding Ring Quilt Designs
- 1. Traditional Vintage DWR quilt
- 2. Double Wedding Ring Quilt with Applique
- 3. Modern Take on the Double Wedding Ring Quilt
- 4. The Bali Wedding Quilt
- 5. Coordinating Color Double Wedding Ring Quilt
- 6. Dark Background Variation DWR Quilt
- 7. Modern Bright Colors on Dark Background DWR Quilt
- 8. Pastel Rings on a Dark Background DWR Quilt
- 9. Double Wedding Ring Sampler Quilt
- 10. Scrappy Rainbow DWR Quilt
- 11. Modern Abstract Bicolored DWR Quilt
- 12. Embellished Double Wedding Ring Quilt
- 13. Ombre Double Wedding Ring Quilt
- 14. Garden-Inspired DWR Quilt
- 15. Modern Solid Color Overload DWR Quilt
- Free Double Wedding Ring Quilt Patterns
What is a Double Wedding Ring Quilt?
The double wedding ring quilt pattern is characterized by several interlocking rings that symbolize two people becoming one during a wedding ceremony. The look and feel or style of the quilt can vary significantly depending on the fabric selection.
They are generally made as gifts for newlyweds or those celebrating anniversaries. This quilt is a beautiful gift made with love that also represents the love between the couple receiving the gift.
The History of the Double Wedding Ring Quilt
The DWR pattern has been around for quite some time, dating back to the mid to late 1800s. The design’s popularity took off around The Great Depression era, probably because it is a “scrap friendly” pattern.
People were getting married during The Depression, but friends and family couldn’t afford to buy brand new fabric or give costly gifts to the newlyweds. Women could dive into their fabric stash from yardage they purchased years before or cut up old bedding and clothing to use to make this special gift.
With the beautiful symbolism and timeless look of these quilts, the DWR pattern has stood the test of time and is still a go-to gift idea for weddings and anniversaries that couples and families will cherish for decades.
15 Beautiful Double Wedding Ring Quilt Designs
I have gathered a wide selection of DWR quilts that I hope will inspire you and help you decide on your own project’s design choices. Here you will find a variety of traditional designs and modern takes on this timeless pattern.
More Related Articles
Free Double Wedding Ring Quilt Patterns
Aren’t all these quilts gorgeous?! Now that you’ve got some great ideas for your own DWR quilt project, I’ve searched around for some free patterns for you!
- French Knots DWR Quilt Pattern
- Little House on the Prairie DWR Quilt Pattern
- Lovey Dovey” DWR Quilt Pattern
- “A Graceful Wedding” DWR Quilt Pattern
- “Ophelia” DWR Quilt Pattern
With all these fabulous ideas and free patterns, I am sure you will be able to make something truly unique and gorgeous. Are you planning on making a DWR quilt? What colors and patterns are you going to use? I would love to hear about it in the comments below!
About the author: Miriam Ronne is a lover of all things quilting and sewing. She is a self-taught quilter and is constantly learning and broadening her skill set to create one-of-a-kind quilts! When she's not behind her sewing machine you can find her playing with her fur babies or trying her hand at other crafty things.